The Chandlers Ford Chess Club Knock-out starts in April with a Preliminary Round to determine which 16 club players begin Round 1 of the Knock-Out proper. The tournament aims to conclude in August. It is one of three internal club tournaments at the club.
The field of players is halved each round: 16, to 8, to 4, until the 2 remaining players play a final to determine the winner.
The knock-out is organised by Steve Dunleavy.
The 2019 Knock-Out
The 2019 winner
The 2019 Winner of the Knock-out tournament was Peter Przybycin. He was presented with the Knock-out Trophy at the Christmas Curry on 12th December.
The Preliminary matches brought the number of players for Round 1 down to 16 players. These were the Pairings of the preliminaries:
THE DRAW FOR THE ABOVE IS AS FOLLOWS(THE FIRST NAMED PERSON TO PLAY WITH WHITE):
- SAM M VERSUS PETE P
- IAN P V ROB STRACHAN
- DICK M V STEVE S
Round 1 began on 5th May, and saw 8 of the 16 eliminated. These were the Round 1 pairings:
THE DRAW FOR THE ABOVE IS AS FOLLOWS.THE PERSON NAMED FIRST PLAYS WITH WHITE)
- JAMES –L V PETER-P
- MAHA-C V MANSA C
- KEV-L V JOHN-K
- ROB SIMS V NOBBY-G
- MANOJ-C V ROSE-S
- ROB STRACHAN V PHIL-O
- DON C V STEVE-D
- DICK M V ROB BIRD
Round 2 started on 9th June with these pairings:
THE DRAW IS AS FOLLOWS(WITH THE PLAYER NAMED FIRST PLAYING WITH WHITE):
1)MANOJ C V PHIL O
2)MANSA C V PETE P
3)ROB SIMS V ROB BIRD
4) DON C V JOHN K
Round 2 is due to end on 2nd July, although if the last game(s) are drawn that might move things back a week if there are re-plays.
Tournament rules for the Knock-Out
Tournament organiser Steve Dunleavy sets out the Knock-out tournament rules below:
- ALL GAMES TO BE COMPLETED BY THE ROUND DEADLINE AND ALL RESULTS TO BE MAILED TO ME ASAP AFTER THE RESULT HAS BEEN DETERMINED
- CLOCKS TO BE SET AT 90 MINUTES AND ALL MOVES RECORDED
- IN THE EVENT OF A DRAW THE OPTIONS ARE EITHER A) PLAY A RAPID PLAY THE SAME NIGHT( DURATION TO BE AGREED BY BOTH PLAYERS)OR B)ARRANGE ANOTHER 90 MINUTE GAME PROVIDING BOTH PLAYERS ARE 100% COMMITTED TO COMPLETEING THE REPLAYED GAME BY THE DEADLINE(TO FACILITATE THE SMOOTH RUNNING OF SUBSEQUENT ROUNDS)
- I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF ALL DATES THAT GAMES ARE ARRANGED TO BE PLAYED ARE EMAILED TO ME ONCE AGREED SO THAT I CAN MONITER THE PROGRESS OF THE COMPETITION
- GAMES CAN BE PLAYED AT THE CLUB OR ANY OTHER VENUE AGREED BY BOTH PLAYERS
- PLEASE EMAIL ME THE RESULTS AS SOON AS THE GAMES ARE COMPLETED
- ALL RESULTS WILL BE SUBMITTED FOR GRADING PURPOSES