The draw for Round 3 (semi-finals) has been made. All games should be completed by 15th August.
Peter Przybycin vs Dick Meredith
Mike Henbury vs Maha Chandar
Knock-out Tournament Rules / guidelines recap
1)the player named first plays with white
2) games can be played either on lichess or over the board (both players’ clocks being set at 90 minutes)
3) in the event of a draw you can either play a rapid play on the same night (duration to be agreed between both players) or arrange another 90 minute game (please let me know if you need an extension of time)
4) the rules of chess must be followed ie no move retakes if playing on lichess
5) all games to be played within 3 weeks of today i.e. 15th August. Please let me know if you need an extension of time (to fit in any replays or otherwise)
6) please let me know when you arrange to play so that I can monitor progress and give me the result asap after it has been determined
7) please let me know if you have any problems contacting your opponent and I will do my best to help out
The 2021 Summer Tournament is one of two tournaments currently running in the Chandler’s Ford Chess Club (the Summer Tournament and the Knock-out Tournament). Round 2 of the Summer Tournament has now been completed, and event organiser Malcolm Clarke has announced the Summer Tournament 2021 Round 3 draw. See below for the Round 2 results in full, Round 3 Pairings list, and a quick recap of the rules.
Round 2 Results
Summer Tournament 2021 Round 2
Full details of each Round’s results can be seen on the table on the Summer Tournament Page which will be updated as the tournament progresses.
The Summer Tournament is organised and run by Malcolm Clarke. The Summer Tournament is usually 5, but sometimes 6 Rounds over the summer months. Each Round is usually completed within a few weeks. The winner receives the Kooner Cup for a year and usually gets to keep a replica.
The Games are 90 minutes all moves per player.
When the Round Pairings are announced, the first-named plays as white.
The event was online on lichess.org, and the format a Team Battle. Basically, the individuals’ scores count towards their respective teams in an online tournament. The time control is in the blitz category: quick games of 5+3 (5minutes per player per game, plus a 3-second increment for each move made). With a tournament length of an hour and a half, quite an intense event requiring a lot of concentration and quick decisions in every game.
The Hampshire Junior Chess Association team have had a series of events on lichess.org. These were various Team Battles, including the regular Saturday Afternoon Event Team Battles, plus 3-County Team Battles (for example, Hampshire v Dorset v Berkshire).
Their next event is a Saturday Afternoon Event Team Battle, on Saturday 17th July 2021. Hampshire is currently one of 4 Counties signed up for the event, the others being Devon, Berkshire, and Dorset. The time control for the 2-hour event is 10+5 (ten minutes per player per game, plus 5 seconds per move).